Rapid fire meals also need to be enjoyable to eat. Here’s a quick way to crank out delicious breakfast tacos in under 5 minutes, provided you’ve got a few ingredients on standby.
Meal prep: I like to buy a couple of ingredients at the beginning of every week to keep on hand for quick meals. I start with a bowl of pre-cut low-moisture Pico de Gallo (onion, tomato, jalapeno and cilantro). You can make this yourself, of course, it just saves some time. Next: avocado, limes, tortillas and cheese. These are just constants in the house.
- 2-4 tbsp Pico de Gallo, strained (store bought or meal prep: chop 3 tomatoes, dice 1 white onion, 1 cup chopped cilantro, 1 small diced jalapeno).
- 2 eggs
- 2 flour tortillas
- grated cheddar cheese
- sliced avocado
- Optional: sliced limes
- Optional: hot sauce / salsa of your preference
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Warm a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add dry tortillas and flip once or twice to warm them, setting aside to a plate, add cheese.
- Add 2 tsp olive oil to the skillet. Add pico de gallo to oil and saute’ until onions are soft, perhaps a minute. Shift pico to one side of the pan.
- Break 2 eggs into pan, rapidly stirring with a spatula to break the yokes, mixing with the whites. Allow to cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until to your preferred temperature.
- Add eggs to tortillas over cheese.
- Add avocado slices, a dash of lime juice and any salsa of your choice.